Stanley D. Currier Archive: Seriously, Opera?


I'm beginning to think that my fellow Gwinnutians lack the stomach for looting. A while back, I heard a rumor that there was going to be a flash mob at the Mall of Georgia and so I packed a couple of bricks in my book bag and headed up to Buford planning on getting a free pair of Nike Air Jordans out of the deal.  I get up there and notice lots of people with conspiratorial expressions milling about the food court, so I plant myself right in front of the entrance to Foot Locker and wait for the signal.
All of the sudden, someone blows a pitch pipe and, get this, people start singing opera. Yeah, everyone's coming out of the wood works bellowing out friggin' Wagner. (Quite frankly, IMHO, Puccini might provide a better background for a riot, but ... whatever.) So I wait, figuring that this was just a prelude to the "get free stuff" part of the flash mob. And I wait. And I wait. About half way through the Ring Cycle I start thinking "You know, I like 19th century German arias about as much as the next guy, but my bladder is singing like a valkyrie and it's saying 'Götterdämmerung! I'd sure wish they’d hurry up and bring out the fat lady!'"
And I'm just about to shout: "Hey Brynhildr, could you pick up the tempo a little, and I mean like, say, on the scale of Brubeck?" And I'm hopping around on one leg, but I can't take my eyes off of the Air Jordans 'cause I know that there's some other yeehaw just waiting to snatch them from under my nose.
Then I see my proctologist walk in and grab a pair and I'm like "O.K., he always seems to know what he's doing, so the games have finally begun!" I follow him, grab a pair and head to the door. Then - get this! - what does he do? He goes up to the cashier and whips out his friggin' AmEx card!!! Why would anyone need an AmEx card when looting a FootLocker???
I'm confused and I don't know what to do, so in the heat of the moment I end up charging the shoes on my card and now I'm out $130 (plus tax) for a pair of shoes that I now realize make me look kind of silly (sort of like my iguana-toed cowboy boots with silver studs and red horses embroidered on the throat - $680 - not quite as cool as I thought they would be).
So the next day I try to return the things and the lady at the counter tells me "I'm sorry sir, but this model was discontinued last night" and she wouldn't take them back. Well, I figure I'll just sell them on eBay and maybe make up 80 bucks or so, but it turns out that nobody wants to buy a week old model of Air Jordans. So I get this great idea and I claim that they used to belong to LeBron James and jack up the price to $460, but some joker comments that LeBron wears 14EEEs, not 10Bs, and so I don't get any hits.
It looks like the most I can hope for now is about a $30 tax deduction when I throw the things into the Goodwill box. (At least I got 13 cents worth of points on my AmEx card.) So I'm out $90 (minus the 13 cents) all because these Buttonoid jackalopes don't know how to loot and spend all of their time singing friggin' opera instead. What is the world coming to?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stanley D. Currier Archive: Hillary's Coup

Stanley D. Currier Archive: Women's Soccer on the Radio